Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Bad Coffee Part One

    Caffeine makes the world go round; America especially. Stop by any coffee shop on a busy weekday morning and you're bound to see a dozen, half-asleep people waiting in life for coffee; no matter the quality. It's the only drink that is going to help the working-class zombies get through the awful workday that awaits them without stabbing someone in the face. 

    At one particular coffee shop, I have met a woman. I don't know much about her, except her name, Lisa. Lisa and I have been running into each other over coffee for months. At this point, I look forward to seeing this mysterious woman, that I barely know, every day before work. I think that the universe puts people in your path for a reason. I haven't figured out what the reasoning behind Lisa and I using the same coffee shop every day is yet, but I know it's not the coffee. The sludge that they offer to their customers is mediocre on its best day and a waste of my money and time on its worst day. I keep coming back for the companionship though; the little tidbits of conversation and flirtatious glances back and forth. Over the months, Lisa and I haven't said more than a handful of words to each other at a time. She gives me this devilish look when she speaks to me though, like she wants to have me for breakfast; it sets my insides on fire. 

    I don't even know what she does for a living, but she dresses well for it. Lisa is almost always in a knee-length, body-tight dress and heels. Today she arrived before I did, and is waiting by the pick-up section of the counter for her coffee. She is wearing a dark-blue, knee length, cap-sleeve dress that is trimmed in black lace. The heels are black lace with a thin heel. I have no problem imagining running my hands up and down those delicious curves of hers, or peeling her out of that tight dress. I can even imagine her keeping the dress and heels on, just bending her over the counter...My thoughts are interrupted as she turns around towards me; a smile lighting up her entire face as she spots me eyeing her. 

    "Hey there, handsome," she says as she glides the couple of steps towards me. Lisa's hair is long, and dark chocolate brown; she has the sides and front of it pulled back away from her face in almost a retro kind of way. 

    "Good morning, beautiful. How is your morning going?"

    "The sun is out, the birds are chirping, it's a good day." She hands me a coffee. "I got you a coffee this time, since I figured you weren't gonna be here before the morning rush." Lisa winks at me. 

    "Well, thank you." Lisa and I head for the door together, she was right, the line is growing and it would have made me late to work. It's not like me to sleep in, but I tossed and turned all night and missed my alarm this morning. I take a sip of my coffee, it's garbage, and hold the door open for Lisa.

    On the sidewalk, we are about to part ways, on to our respective places of employment but she grabs onto my bicep with her free hand, making me instinctively flex. She pulls me closer to her and pushes the entire length of her slender body within centimeters of mine. I am immediately thrown off, and intrigued, and on fire. Lisa lightly brushes her cheek along mine, putting her lips so close that she is almost touching my ear. I close my eyes. I can feel the strength in her grasp on my bicep, her nails ready to dig in through my suit jacket, not willing to let me go. I can feel the electricity flowing off her body, yelling and screaming to mine. I can feel the perfect, softness of her cheek, teasing and taunting my own. I can feel her warm, sweet, breath tickling my ear and making goosebumps run down my neck. I can smell her hair, she smells like warm sun and honey. I keep my eyes closed, every nerve ending in my body is sparking, tingling, and going crazy. 

    "Now, you owe me," Lisa whispers into my ear and walks away. Holy shit. That will wake you up. Lisa and I have never touched before. I have fantasized of it countless times, but we have never gotten that close in the months that we've been buying coffee together. I open my eyes as she is walking away from me; I just watch her go. Lisa doesn't look back; she knows she doesn't have to. She can probably feel the electricity from my body screaming for hers from right where I stand. Wow. Lisa turns the corner and disappears from my view. I take a deep breath, shake my head, turn heel and head to work with a smile on my face. I take another sip of my coffee. Yep, it still tastes like shit, but I drink it anyways. This is the best damn coffee I've had in a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bullet Journaling for Dummies

     I have always written down notes, lists, and short stories; sometimes that included writing down dreams too. Over the years, I have wen...